Sunday, October 7, 2007

NFL Football - BEARS!

As I mentioned in my welcome, I'm a huge Bears fan and I've been watching the Bears-Packers game while starting this blog. I'm impressed that they've put a up a good fight against a team that was 4-0. But I'm still not convinced that they're an elite team.

Let me start with the Offense. The offensive line is just awful while the play calling is atrocious. Is it just me or did they replace Fred Miller the right tackle with a turnstyle??? His footwork is terrible and he's letting everybody past him. Tait is out and St. Clair is playing tonight. He hasn't been so bad but why hasn't Angelo addressed his old line in the draft? They kept a 4th round pick from BC but I think he's been inactive all season. Hopefully he can develop. It seems like it doesn't even matter with Ron Turner's play calling. Why have there been so many defenders coming to the QB untouched this year? Is it Turner's play calling or is his line so inept that they're leaving guys unblocked? Grossman took a wicked shot in the first week from an unblocked defender. And in tonight's game, there were a few times where the plays called went right into the defense. Did Griese not notice the play was going right into the defense? Does Turner give him a chance to audible? Would it matter?

Another thing I have an issue with is the Bears receivers. Mushin looks old this year. He's dropped a bunch of balls, although he always did that. Berrian is missing in action. Perhaps the lack of a running game (I'll blame the line although Benson doesn't always look interested) isn't freeing up Berrian for the play action passes he caught last year. I really wish Turner would get Olsen more involved. He looked like a stud tonight. And Des Clark still looks pretty good too. Why not use the tight ends more???

To me, the jury is still out on Cedric Benson. I can't figure him out. He was a stud in college and then got hurt with the Bears. He was never hurt in college so I thought it was a fluke. But as I mentioned earlier, he just doesn't seem interested all the time. He's not very emotional so maybe I'm confusing that with not being interested. I think he can be a very powerful and effective runner but I'd like to see some emotion out of him, just so I know he cares.

Lastly, I'm hopeful the defense will come around. It sucks to lose Brown (again) and Dvorecek, who I thought was on his way to being really good, but they could overcome those losses with their depth. But last week they played without both starting corners, a starting pro bowl linebacker, and the other starting safety. Plus Tommie Harris wasn't 100%. They got Tillman back tonight and he forced two fumbles. Hopefully as they get healthy on Defense, the Bears record will get healthier too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In regards to Bensons lack of enthusiam, I think he has been smoking the happy weed, if you know what I mean. He has a similar demeanor to Ricky Williams, and we all know what happened to him. Benson was better when he had competition with Thomas Jones. Now that Jones is gone (big mistake) Benson seems content to be the nothing more than an average running back.

Garret Wolfe needs to start catching some more passes out of the backfield.

Tony

Suburban Chicago Sports Fan said...

He may be smoking the happy weed although I think maybe he's just depressed. I honestly don't know what his problem is but I wish he showed a little bit of fire.

I disagree with your comment that Benson was better when Jones was around. On top of the fact that I think Jones sucks (you dig a 3.3 yard average and no TDs this year???), I don't think competition brings out the best in Benson. I'm not exactly sure what does but I don't think it's competition. Seriously, I think a big part of Benson's troubles are because of his offensive line. He runs really hard and is powerful. But that doesn't mean bupkis if there's two guys in the backfield as soon as he gets the ball.

Lastly, I agree with you about Garrett Wolfe. Ron Turner finally used his tight ends lasdt week, maybe he can figure out a way to get Wolfe involved as well.

Anonymous said...

I doubt Benson is puffing the wacky tobacky, but I wouldn't be all that surprised if he was. He seems depressed in the same way Ricky was... total mental issues. He shows signs of life but doesn't impress me in the least bit... even when the line seems to be performing on a given play. Even though the great John Madden tends to be limited to stating the obvious, he actually said something in the Dallas game that was spot on and summed up Benson's play. On a play in which Ced bounced outside and was faced one on one with a corner, he opted to run out of bounds. Madden's response was something along the lines of "Wow, now you see how he heads to the sideline here? He could have picked up a couple extra yards at the very least had he taken that cornerback on. The late great Walter Payton would not have run out of bounds on that play." Another pathetic indication that Ced doesn't has lost that desire within him to be a solid NFL back. To me he's lost his mental edge, and is basically collecting a paycheck. Another Bear 1st round running back bust. There is no doubt we'd be a better team with Thomas Jones here. Jay, you may not think Ced flourished with the competition, but I think he may have. His hatred of TJoens was probably the only thing keeping him driven and mentally focused to succeed. I agree the o-line is not nearly what it was last year, but then again the backs we have out there aren't taking advantage of any seems they do get. Personally, I think TJones is a decent NFL back and would flourish in the right situation. Unfortunately, the Jets are brutal as is their o-line.

As for Garrett Wolfe, I agree they need to get others involved, but I cringe every time this guy touches the ball for fear of his head getting taken off while the ball bounces into a deffender's hands. Ouch...

Anonymous said...

Regarding Bears final drive against the Eagles. The headset in Brian Griese's didn't malfunction. I think Griese broke it on purpose so he didn't have use any of the plays Ron Turner called in. Must be embarassing to the offensive coordinator when the only touchdown your team scores in the game is when you weren't calling in the plays.

How come Cedric Benson is not in the game when you have 3rd and goal at the one yard line?

Tony

Suburban Chicago Sports Fan said...

I saw that Griese clarified his statements from the other day. He said Turner called the first couple of plays, Griese called the middle 4 or so and then Turner called the final two.

Either way, I get your point. Turner's play calling leaves something to be desired. I'm starting to think he's losing faith in Benson, as you can tell by not having him in on 3rd and 1. If he's losing faith in him because Benson can't gain yardage on a sweep, I have news for him....Benson is not good at sweeps!!! I've been begging the Bears for years to run sweeps...when they had quick running backs, not when they have a guy who can run over people. Run inside plays for Benson! How about a dose of Garret Wolfe running sweeps???